Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Writing exercise: Writing in Persona


In our recently concluded writing exercise for the writer pool, we were asked to put ourselves in the persona of either a Deaf, Mute, Deaf-mute, Cripple or Blind person. We were then asked to write a poem or prose about a great experience in our lives and how we went through that experience under the disability we've chosen, at 200 words minimum.

Below is my piece. I've chosen a persona of a Deaf-mute.

***

In silence I wept but clinching my fists I rose and slammed my knuckles straight to those weary concrete walls…

Feeling the jabbing pain and the sight of my blood, brushing aside teardrops of anguish, shouts of agony, savoring the irony that you have given me.

This wall has always been my comfort and my refuge after what you have done to me, yet I cannot raise my voice and I cannot hear what you say, all that I can give is my smile, shed a tear, or in mere action I can only express what I feel, abiding with innocence to what is happening around me. When my days seemed so long with you… Inside I’m wishing it will always be this way.

I remembered that this wall laid witness to our bitter sweet memories together, the fun times we’ve had in the past along with our friends

We ran together, we’ve fallen, we’ve laughed. You heard my first laugh here or so it seemed to you; but to me it was only grunts and a pinch in my chest… a renewed feeling because I was happy.

Then that fateful day did came, seeing you play with our friends, I sat down behind this wall taking a peek every now and then to see your smile. All for me has changed; seeing everyone’s faces and laughter. I can make out reading your lips that you were mocking, strange… I could make out that everyone was mocking me and laughing with content.

Slowly I turned and ran the other way to hide by the comforts of my room vowing to never see you again.

Yet you followed. Teary eyed, you grabbed my hand and eased me down to talk, but all was lost for me that day and it seems it will always be.

Inside I felt helpless with treason and pity with which I was borne unto this world, lesser the boy I wished that I could be.

When all you thought that your mere words cannot work out, you showed me a heart sign and went your way…

I cuddled in my bed the whole time; everyone was bewildered by my strange actions.
I tried to sleep but thinking about the wall, sneaked out, surprised to see the sight.

You’ve left your wooden horse for me with ribbons and all, which I remembered was your most prized possession and beside it a note that you wrote. A Strange token. I opened my mouth to utter the words that are in my heart, but only oblivious silence can I hear... I will remember this night. I will never forget you...





1 comment:

telemarketing call center said...

Nice post, I find it very interesting and full of sense.